Do you know what your TMJ’s are? If not, that’s OK because or dental team is happy to tell you. Your TMJ’s are an important joint in your body located on either side of your face. This joint allows you to open and close your jaw as you talk or chew your food. As a result, over time, your joint can become painful and trigger headaches or become inflamed. Our doctors, Dr. Chase Bennett and Dr. James Bieneman with Craniofacial Pain Center Of Colorado in Arvada, Colorado, cares about your smile and is happy to help you with your TMJ troubles.
To help you learn more about how to care for your TMJ, here is a list of how to treat them should they become inflamed:
– One of the most effective ways of treating pain in your jaw is with a heat pack.
– If a TMJ disorder is present, it will often give rise to inflammation. Ice packs are helpful for reducing swelling.
– A visit to your dentist for a TMJ disorder treatment can prove to be beneficial. Your dentist can offer you jaw exercises to strengthen your jaw and oral appliances such as night guards and bite plates.
– If you are suffering from bruxism, you will be at an increased risk for a TMJ disorder.
– Several types of extremely chewy or tough foods can make a TMJ disorder worse. To be safe, always eat soft foods.
– TMJ disorders are often linked to stress, so try practicing yoga.
– Listening to calming music can help alleviate the stress associated with TMJ disorders.
If you still need help with your TMJ’s or feel you need to see an expert to help your jaw pain, please call us today at 303.421.2696 to set up an appointment. Our team is happy to help you with your TMJ’s.