Sleep apnea is a type of sleep disorder that creates irregular patterns or interrupted breathing patterns while you sleep. If a person has sleep apnea, it can create some serious issues in the body, such as high blood pressure, strokes, and even heart attacks. Here are many of the possible risk factors of this sleep disorder:
– Genetics can play a large role in the development of sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is sometimes created by a deviated septum and other types of nasal blockage or obstruction.
– Males often have the highest risk of sleep apnea.
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at an augmented risk of sleep apnea.
– Some disorders, such as allergies and sinus problems, can increase the risk of sleep apnea.
– Various mouth structures can amplify your risk for sleep apnea, such as an oversized tongue, enlarged tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw in relation to your mouth.
If you think you have sleep apnea, our team at Craniofacial Pain Center Of Colorado can help. Dr. Bennett and Dr. Bieneman can give you a comprehensive oral examination to determine if you suffer from sleep apnea and require treatment. To set up a visit to our doctor office in Arvada, Colorado, call us at 303.421.2696.