The joints and jaw muscles that make speaking and chewing possible are referred to as temporomandibular joints, also known as TMJ. Due to the complex nature of the ball and sockets joints that comprise TMJ, these joints can become damaged, resulting in a disorder known as a temporomandibular disorder, known as TMD. Here are some common signs of TMD:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Craniofacial Pain Center Of Colorado can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some common treatments:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your jaw muscles.
– Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Chase Bennett by calling us at 303.421.2696, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Arvada, Colorado. We look forward to fixing your smile!