Do you suffer from jaw pain while eating or speaking? If so, you may be suffering from a temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMD. The ball and socket joints in your jaw are called temporomandibular joints and are highly specialized in making the complex movements of your mouth work. Because they are so highly complex, they can also be easily damaged from a variety of causes. Here are some of the common ailments to look out for:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Craniofacial Pain Center Of Colorado can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some common treatments:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your jaw muscles.
– Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Chase Bennett by calling us at 303.421.2696, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Arvada, Colorado. We look forward to fixing your smile!